P. G. DEPARTMENT OF MICROBIOLOGY
RASHTRASANT TUKADOJI MAHARAJ NAGPUR UNIVERSITY
L. I. T. Premises, Mahatama Gandhi Marg
NAGPUR - 440 033 (M.S.) INDIA
The Post-Graduate Department of Microbiology, established in 1975 from the
Golden jubilee celebration fund of R. T.M. Nagpur University, completed 44 years of its fruitful
existence in 2019 A.D. The mandate was to impart Post-Graduate education i.e. M.Sc. degree
course programme incorporated with eight theory papers & four practicals. in regard to
Environmental Microbiology, Microbial Chemistry and Metabolism, Microbial Enzymology, Industrial
Microbiology, Medical Microbiology & Immunology, Virology, Molecular Biology & Biotechnology and
also to conduct applied and strategic research in the areas of microbiology related to
environment, agriculture, industry and medical sectors, in the backward region of Maharashtra
state in particular and country as a whole in general. During these years, the Department of
Microbiology has continued to promote and upgrade the knowledge of students, teachers & members
of different social & cultural organizations with the recent developments. The intake capacity
of students at M.Sc. Part I level has increased from 6 in 1975 to 30 till date. From the session
2015-2016 M.Sc. semester pattern with choice based credit system (CBCS) was introduced.
The Department has taken special interest in encouraging the students and teachers to take up
pure, applied & strategic Ph.D. research programmes at local and national level, to restore the
environmental quality and the development of indigenous microbial technology. More than 79
students have been awarded Ph.D. degrees since the inception of the Department. Several students
of this Department have been gainfully employed & are working in several leading national &
international laboratories, industries, research institutions and colleges. The research and
development activities in the field of Microbial Biotechnology in this backward region have been
strengthened through the establishment of R & D Centre - Rajiv Gandhi Biotechnology Centre, with
the financial assistance of Rs. 11 lacs in 1995 initially through an NGO (RVK, New Delhi).
The major emphasis has been on the use of proven low - cost ecofriendly bioproducts, process
development, use of local & national languages with the proposed programme, transfer of
technology in the form of Biopesticides&Biofertilizers to the tribal, rural & semi-urban areas
for its use in agriculture, health care & environmental protection. Special R & D Projects
amounting Rs. 2,15,20,203/- sanctioned by the various funding agencies of Govt. of India such
as DBT, DST, Ministry of Sci. & Tech.; ICAR, Ministry of Agriculture; DNES, Ministry of Energy
& NGOs were undertaken by the expert personnel of the Department & were completed successfully.
These include biodegradation of pollutants, anaerobic digestion, extraction procedure of
limonine, debittering of orange juice by enzyme, Microbial production of PHB, bioreclamation
of barren/wasteland, bioleaching of phosphorus from Manganese ore, use of biofertilizers, use
of biopesticides in aquaculture bodies, medical sector and in cereal crop cultivation. Research
and development of new antimicrobial drug due to high emergence of multiple drug resistant (MDR)
bacteria for human welfare is currently in progress.
- M.Sc. (Microbiology) Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) starts from 2015-2016 (Four Semesters)
- PhD by Research – Essential Requirement. PET Examination Pass
SYLLABUS FOR M.Sc. CHOICE BASED CREDIT SYSTEM (CBCS) IN MICROBIOLOGY SUBJECT, RASHTRASANT TUKADOJI MAHARAJ NAGPUR UNIVERSITY, NAGPUR (M.S.) INDIA
Calendar of Activities:
The activity of admission of students, schedule of theory and practical classes conducted as per R.T.M. Nagpur University calendar.
Intake Capacity of Student in M.Sc. Part-I: 30 Nos.
(Eligibility, General Procedure):
For Admission to M.Sc. Part-I Course in Microbiology the candidate must have passed the B.Sc. Examination with Microbiology/Biotechnology subjects. Candidates are admitted on merit basis i.e. aggregate in B.Sc. Exam.
Dr. Pradeep M. Tumane
Present Position : Professor & Head,
P. G. Department of Microbiology
Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University
L.I.T. Premises, Amravati Road
NAGPUR – 440 033 (M.S.) India
Experience : :
- Total Teaching Experience : 23 Years
- Experience of Guiding Research at Doctoral Level :
- Number of student awarded Ph.D. Degree - 05
- Number of students registered Ph.D. Degree - 02
- Research Experience : 23 years
- Number of papers published in reputed journals - 74
- Number of Impact Factor papers - 36
- Number of Research papers citated - 07
- Number of students guided for M.Phil. projects - 02
- Number of students guided for M.Sc. projects / dissertation - 160
- National as well as International Conferences / Symposia / Seminars attended :
- National and International - more than 55
- Completed Research Project :
Sponsored Major R & D Project :
- Principle Investigator of UGC Sponsored Major Research Project, P. G. Department of Microbiology, R.T.M.N.U. Nagpur amounting Rs. 8,80,300/- (2011-2014).
- Co-Investigator of UGC Sponsored Major Research Project, P.G. Department of Biochemistry R.T.M.N.U Nagpur amounting Rs. 8,79,300/- (2011-2014).
- Academic Experience:
- Chairman,Board of Studies (Microbiology), RTM Nagpur University, Nagpur.
- Member,Board of Studies (Microbilogy), Gondawana University, Gadchiroli
- Co-ordinatorof Special Task Committee for Microbiology Subject, RTM Nagpur University, Nagpur.
- Memberof Research and recognition committee of SRT Marathwada University, Nanded.
- Memberof Local Enquiry Committee, Moderation committee and Selection Committee of RTM Nagpur University, Nagpur and Gondawana University, Gadchiroli.
- Experience of Handling Quality issues :
- Attended the meeting as an Expert member of U.G.C. for evaluation and assessment of the Research papers submitted by college Teachers for Travel Grant Assistance to attend International Conference abroad” meeting held on 5th December 2006 at New Delhi.
- Attended the meeting as an Expert member of UGC, Govt. of India for the scheme of Post Doctoral Fellowship for women, held on 8/2/2011 at selection and Awards Bureau, UGC, 35, Ferozshah Road, New Delhi.
- MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Life member of “Journal of Microbial World.”
- Life member of Journal of Current Science and Society for Sciences.
- Life member of Indian Journal of Medical Microbiology.
- Life member of National Academy of Biological Sciences (NABS) Chennai, India.
- Life member of “Global Biotech Forum, Nagpur, India”.
- Life member of Association of Microbiologist of India (AMI).
- Life member of Indian Association of Medical Microbiologist.
- Life member of Bionano Frontier Journal, Mumbai.
- Life member of International Society of Science and Technology, Mumbai.
- Life member of Vishwashanti Multipurpose Society, Nagpur
- Life member of International Journal of Researches in Biosciences, Agriculture and Technology
|Sr. No.||Name of Researcher||Topic||Date of Registration||Guide|
|1.||Mr. Rahul S. Bhende||Microbial Bioremedeation of commonly used pesticides from contaminated agricultural soil||20/05/2019||Dr. P. M. Tumane|
|2.||Ms. Sadiya Deshmukh||Studies on Isolation and Characterization of L-Asparaginase Producers and Selection of Potential Agro Based Sources for L-Asparaginase production: A Novel Approach||20/05/2019||Dr. P. M. Tumane|
Major Research Project (Completed): (2011-2014)
|Sr. No.||Project Investigator/Co-Investigator||Funding Agency||Amount in Rs.|
|1.||Dr. P. M. Tumane (Investigator)||UGC, New Delhi||8,80,300/-|
|2.||Dr. P. M. Tumane (Co-Investigator)||UGC, New Delhi||8,79,300/-|
Placement Profile of Students:
|Sr. No.||Name of Students||Organization/Institute||Date of Joining|
|1.||Dr. Durgesh Wasnik||Assistant Professor & Head USG College, Nagpur||15/03/2016|
|2.||Ms. Kahkashan Bee||Assistant Professor USG College, Nagpur||16/03/2016|
|3.||Mr. Atul Sirsat||NARI||2017|
|4.||Mr. Badal Jewade||Railway||2019|
|5.||Mr. Vishal Fule||Bank of India||2018|
|6.||Ms. Humera Memon||Project Assistant - Level II NEERI||2018|
|7.||Ms. Dhanashree Mone||Project Assistant - Level II NEERI||2016|
|8.||Ms. Shraddha Dahat||Project Assistant NRCC, Nagpur||2017|
Head of the Department:
Dr. P. M. Tumane
Professor & Head
P.G. Department of Microbiology
Phone No. : 0712-2536223, 0712-2545781
Mobile No. :
Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University
L. I. T. Premises, Amrawati Road
NAGPUR 440 033 (M.S.) India
E-mail : [email protected]
Sport's Day - 2019
Participation of M.Sc. students in Poster and Model Competition on the occasion of National Science Day - 2019