Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University
Campus, Amravati Road,
Nagpur – 440033 (M.S.)
Telephone & Fax No.: 0712-2500088
The Department has come into existence in 1963 along with other Science Departments for imparting post-graduate education and for promoting research. Its building, with built up area 1695.27 Sq. m., is situated in the Mahatma Jyotiba Phuley Campus, Amravati Road, Nagpur.
COURSES & SPECIALIZATIONS
M.Sc. Programme:- Two years (Choice Based Credit Semester System of Four Semester) - 40 seats intake capacity
(Eligibility: B.Sc. with botany as one of the subjects and minimum 45% marks in degree - on merit basis)
Syllabus Outline: Four Theory Papers of 100 marks (80+20 Internal) each & two Practicals of 100 marks each in all the four semesters, seminar of 25 marks in each Semester.
Semester One - Paper I : Microbiology, Algae and Fungi; Paper II : Bryophytes and Pteridophytes; Paper III : Gymnosperms and Paleobotany; Paper IV : Cytology and Genetics
Semester Two - Paper V : Plant Physiology and Biochemistry; Paper VI : Plant Development and Reproduction; Paper VII: Cell and Molecular Biology I; Paper VIII : Angiosperms II; Paper XI : Elective I; Paper XII : Foundation I.
Semester Three - Paper IX : Plant Ecology & Conservation Biology; Paper X : Angiosperms II; Paper XI : Elective I; Paper XII : Foundation I.
Semester Four - Paper VIII : CEll & Molecular Biology II; Paper XIV : Plant Biotechnology & Plant Breeding; Paper XV : Elective II; Paper XVI : Foundation II.
Services available: Identification of plant species and issue of authentic certificate.
Electronic herbarium and digital database preparation
Molecular techniques in plant sciences
Environment Impact Assessment.
Nursery Techniques and plant multiplication.
Projects under various Schemes
Till date faculty members of the department have received research grants from University Grants Commission, Department of Science and Technology, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research. Department of Atomic Energy, Indian Council of Agricultural Research. Department of Environment and Forest, Indian National Science Academy and Dhara Oil And Foods Company Ltd. Anand, Gujarat and Government of Maharashtra. In all research activities and research programmes carried out by the Department there is substantial contribution by the teachers and students that leads to award medal for their contribution. Several students obtained their Ph.D. degrees in these research areas.
Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer
Microscopes (Mono, Bi, Trinocular) with photographic equipment
Stereo –dissecting microscope
Deep Freezer -86 0C
Tissue culture incubation room
Gel Documentation system
Soxhlet apparatus & reflux unit
Electrophoresis apparatus (Horizontal & Vertical)
Manual DNA sequencer
Millipore water purification & distilled water plants
Computer lab with internet facility
Balances (Top pan and analytical)
Flake Ice Maker
2D Gel Electrophoresis
-20 Deep Freezer
Herbarium (Traditional and Digital) for Vidharba
Library with [email protected] Infonet facility for online journals (200), e-books Museum with plant collection
MAJOR & MINOR RESEARCH PROJECTS:-
Ongoing Research Projects : 02
- Dr. N. M. Dongarwar:"Investigations on Rhizosphere Mycobiota Associated with some Species of Habenaria (Orchidiaceae)" funded by, RTMNU Nagpur.
- Dr. R. S. Badere:"Investigation on in vitro mutagenesis in Celosia cristata L." funded by RTMNU Nagpur
1.) Dr. D. P. Gogle
Associate Professor & Head of the Department
Email ID: [email protected]
FIELD OF INTEREST :-
- Plant physiology
- Leaf protein
- Stress physiology
- Industrial fermentation Technology
- Neuro-plant physiology
Recently, Visited to Taiwan and deliver a guest lecture on phytochemistry and memory protein, In three different Universities viz. National Chung Hsing University Taichung, ILAN University ILAN, providence University Shalu , of Taiwan
- Sanctioned one Indian patent on process for manufacturing biodiesel from green biomass in 2011.
- The paper title “a brief review on recent advances in clinical research of Annona muricata L”. Is the top on academia.edu in 2014
- Awarded “Best Student Award” from Lok Jagruti Shikashan Sanstha Tq. Dewani Dist: Latur in 2005.
- Member of Editorial Board of International Journal of Bionano Frontier, Mumbai.
- Appointed as a Referee of International Journal Geoibios.
- Member of syllabus reforming and paper setting committee
- Developed a Technique to prepare Biodiesel from Leaf Extract.
- Developed a Landscape Garden at Department of Botany RTM Nagpur University Nagpur.
- Certificate of Appreciation of National Science Day from SRTM University, Nanded in 2002.
- Developed a formula to cure Alopecia areata Disease.
- Developed a formula to control and cure diabetes
Research students working: As follows:
- Ms. Swati D. Godghate : To study effect of elicitors on growth and secondary metabolites production in some wild medicinal plants
- Ms. Rajani T. Bahadure : Effect of Anti-Stress Bioactive Compounds on some Plants Growing Under Drought Condition.
- Mr. Shravan Kumbhare:Studies on Bioactive Compounds of Male Anti-intertility Medicinal Plants Flemingia congesta Roxb. and Mucuna pruriens (L.) DC.
- Mr. Sanghadeep S. Ukey:Studies on Bioactive Compounds of some anti-aging plants and their effects on lifespan extension of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Meyen ex Hansen
- Mr. Nishikant Shivankar:Removal of Antinutritional factor from Glycine max (L.) Nerr, using different methods
2.) Dr. N. M. DONGARWAR
E-mail : [email protected]
M. Sc. (1993) from Post Graduate Department of Botany, Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University with Mycology and Plant Pathology specialization; qualified both NET & SET examinations in 1995.
Ph. D. (Botany), 1998, Nagpur University, Nagpur. Thesis on ‘Ethnobotanical Investigations on Some Tribes of Jalgaon, Nasik and Part of Thane District of Maharashtra State’.
Joined teaching profession in 1997 at the then Government Vidarbha Mahavidyalaya, Amravati later joined Shivaji Science College, Nagpur in 1999. He was appointed as Lecturer in Department of Botany in 2003. Total teaching experience of 21 years.
FIELD OF INTEREST:
- Biodiversity Conservation.
- Molecular Embryology
- Orchids of Vidarbha.
Completed Research Projects:
- “In Vitro Multiplication and Eco-restoration of Habenaria panchganiensis – Critically Endangered Orchid” Sanctioned by MoEF (Rs. 21,12,500.00)
- “In Vitro Multiplication of Some Species of Habenaria (Orchidaceae)” Sanctioned by UGC (Rs. 8,51,000)
On going Research Projects:
- “Investigations on Rhizosphere Mycobiota Associated with some species of Habenaria (Orchidaceae)”
Research students working:
- Mr. Ankush Kayarkar : Investigations on Mycobiota associated with some species of Habenaria (Orchadiaceae)
- Ms. Rituparna Dasgupta : Studies on Eulophia nuda Lindl. and Geodorum densiflorum (Lam.)Schltr. (Orchidiaceae)
Ph. D. (Botany), 2003, Nagpur University, Nagpur. Thesis on 'Investigations on induced mutations in var. NL-97 and RLC-6 of Linum usitatissimum for qualitative and quantitative improvement.'
Fellow of Indian Botanical Society
Post Doctoral Fellowship, Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, 2003-05, School of Life Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, India.
Area of specialization
Crop improvement (induced mutagenesis and plant tissue culture), plant defence, bioactives and secondary metabolism.
- ‘Investigations on in vitro mutagenesis in Celosia cristata L.’ sponsored by RTM Nagpur University. Rs. 3, 00,000/-. Grant No. Dev/RTMNURP/AH/VVJ/2116 dtd. 18th January, 2018. (Ongoing)
- ‘Use of biological activity of radiation produced oligos of alginate and chitosan in improving crop performance’ sponsored by BRNS, Dept. of Atomic Energy, Govt. of India. Rs. 23, 05,750/-. Grant No. 35/14/54/2014-BRNS dtd. 1st January, 2015. (Ongoing)
- ‘Investigations on Induced mutations in Safflower (Carthamus tinctorius L.)’ sponsored by BRNS, Dept. of Atomic Energy, Govt. of India. Rs. 22,52,254/-. Grant No. 2009/35/15/BRNS/3280 dtd. 4th March, 2010 (Duration: April 2010 – March 2014).
- ‘In vitro studies in Celosia cristata L. (Cockscomb) with reference to micropropagation’ sponsored by University Grants Commission, Govt. of India. Rs. 1,80,000/-. Grant No. 47-1549/10 (WRO) dtd. 7th October, 2010 (Duration: October 2010 – March 2012).
- ‘Investigations on phenolic compounds accumulated by Indigofera species of Nagpur region’ sponsored by University Grants Commission, Govt. of India from 2008-2010. Rs. 64,000/-. Grant No. 47-448/08 (WRO) dtd. 18th December, 2008 (Duration: April 2008 – March 2010).
Research students working:
- Ku. Pallavi K. Rinkey- Investigations on induced mutations in Celosia cristata L. (Cockscomb).
- Mr. Anish N. Samdurkar- Investigations on the effect of radiation degraded oligos of alginate and chitosan on growth of rice (Oryza sativa L.) and wheat (Triticum aestivum L.).
- Madke S S, Cherian K J and Badere R S (2014) A modified Murashige and Skoog’s media for efficient multiple shoot induction in G. arborea Roxb. Journal of Forestry Research 25 (3): 557-564. DOI: 10.1007/s11676-014-0449-y.
- Rampure N H, Choudhary A D, Jambhulkar S J and Badere R S (2015) Ethyl methanesulphonate-induced high oleic acid mutants in safflower (Carthamus tinctorius L.). Journal of Crop Improvement 29(6): 720-727. DOI:10.1080/15427528.2015.1082950
- Warhade M I and Badere R S (2015) Efficient micropropagation by multiple shoot induction through recurrent regeneration in Celosia cristata (Cockscomb). Indian Journal of Biotechnology 14(3): 402-410.
- Kadoo M R and Badere R S (2017) Modulation of the activity of chitinases and b-1,3 glucanase in seedlings of cucumber and chilli by the aqueous extract of Cleistanthus collinus. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 98: 46-53. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pmpp.2017.03.004
- Warhade M I and Badere R S (2018) Fusarium oxysporum cell elicitor enhances betalain content in the cell suspension culture of Celosia cristata. Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants 24(2): 285-293. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12298-018-0511-x
CURRENT EVENTS (Conference, Seminar, Symposia & Workshops):
- Organized One day National Seminar on “Recent Trends in Plant Sciences” (RTPS-2019) on 28 December 2019, on the occasion of Superannuation of Prof. T. Srinivasu.
- Organized 01 day National Seminar on "Recent trends in Biosciences: Panacea for sustainable Development" on 29 September 2018, on the occasion of Superannuation of Prof. (Mrs.) Alka Chaturvedi.
- Organized 02 days Teachers Training Workshop on "Skill based oriented Practicals in B.Sc. Syllabus", on 23 & 24 February 2019.
DEPARTMENT OF BOTANY
Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Educational Campus, Amravati Road Nagpur-440033.(M.S.) Telephone & Fax No. 0712 - 2500088 E-Mail: [email protected] Website: www.nagpuruniversity.ac.in
Book release by Chancellor of University.
Botanical Society Inauguration.
Botanical Study tour to Kodaicanal.
Cleanliness of the Department Garden.
Organic farming presentation by Director RCOF, Nagpur.
Skill oriented course practical training.
Representing RTM Nagpur university Nagpur, at ILAN University ILAN, Taiwan.