Post Graduate Department of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Thought has been established, for teaching and deep research in Dr. Ambedkar’s philosophy for the multidimensional development of weaker section & nation. Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar was the leader, who struggled for the ‘social independence’ of this country for building up a strong nation. His thought has the multiple aspects, which constitutes the thought for liberty, equality, fraternity, justice and the science oriented humanism for the entire humanistic, social, cultural, economic & scientific development. Considering all these issues, Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University has started this unique and solitary Post Graduate Teaching Department in Dr. Ambedkar Thought since 1988. The Department has M.A. degree in Ambedkar Thought. Subjects, which are taught in the department, explains itself as the multi-disciplinary approach and the supreme importance of the thought, viz. Social Thought, Educational Thought, Political Thought, Dr. Ambedkar’s impact on Marathi Literature, Economic Thought, Religious Thought, Constitutionalism and Indian Constitution, & Historical Thought. Dissertation is also introduced as an optional paper for motivating to the students in the direction of scientific research. Department has started M.Phil in Ambedkar thought from the academic session 2006-2007. This subject is also introduced at undergraduate level. Many students are conducting research on Dr. Ambedkar Thought. The Department has an independent building which has been named as – Ambedkar Janmshatabdi Bhavan R.T.M.Nagpur University, near the university Library, Ambazari Road, Ramdaspeth, Nagpur. It was inaugurated by then Governer of Maharashtra, on 6 November 1996. The built up area of this Bhavan is 431.77 Sq. m.
Salient features of the Department
The department is unique in many senses in respect of following features.
1. This teaching department is solitary, which is devoted to the development of the philosophy of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar. 2. The department develops the multi-disciplinary approach of thinking for getting the solutions of social problems. This is a modern approach, which is adopted by the humanity sciences in diagnostic and clinical research. 3. The department organizes various seminars & workshops for the above-mentioned cause, where various well-known thinkers and intellectuals participate with their research papers. 4. The department is devoted to the multi-dimensional development of the students. It organizes various tours for fieldwork. It also organizes a visit-cum-study tour for historical places in every academic year for developing historiography & empirical knowledge of history. Along with it, department provides opportunity to the students for participations in the various workshops, seminars and intellectual discourses for development of their ‘verstehen’.
Academic Area of the Department:
The department is unique in nature, i.e. the teaching and research in the philosophy of Dr. Ambedkar. It works in the following field.
1. Multi-disciplinary character of the philosophy of Dr. Ambedkar, which intervenes various humanity sciences within it. The Department develops a multi-disciplinary approach in the academic & research field. 2. The entire philosophy of Dr. Ambedkar functioning toward the direction of the development of weaker sections for building up a nation where unity, integrity, equality, justice, fraternity, liberty & secularism will be the predominant values. As a department of Dr. Ambedkar Thought it leads to those researches and projects that work in the direction to achieve these constitutional values, viz. research projects on economic, social, religious, educational, political & other genuine problems of nation in general and of weaker section, in particular. 3. The department organizes tours for research fieldworks and provides the opportunity to students for empirical research, which develop curious & research-orientated mind.
- M.A. (Ambedkar Thought) - Intake Capacity – M.A. I – 40 & M.A. II - 40
- M.Phil (Ambedkar Thought) - Intake Capacity - 10
- Ph.D. (Ambedkar Thought)
Admission & Eligibility / Procedure
According to Ordinance No. 36 provided thirteenth, those persons holding any degree of any Faculty of the University shall be eligible for admission M.A. Part-I in Dr. Ambedkar Thought.
Provided further that the students can be allowed to take this examination of M.A. in Ambedkar Thought privately and the medium of instructions for this subject shall be English /Marathi/Hindi.
Dr. Ambedkar Thought : Dr. Shailendra Dharamdas Lende, Professor (CAS), Head Department of Marathi, (Additional Charge).
Name : DR. PRADEEP NAGORAO AGLAVE
Academic Qualification : M.A. (Soc; Eco; Ambedkar Thought) M.Phil; LL.B; Ph.D; PGTD.
Present Post : Reader (Des.) & Head Deptt. of Ambedkar Thought,
R.T.M. Nagpur University, Ramdaspeth, Nagpur-440010.
Teaching Experience : 21 Years, Graduate & Post-Graduate teaching Experience
in Sociology & Ambedkar Thought.
Research Experience : Ph.D. Supervisor : 5 candidates have been awarded Ph.D.,
2 candidate submitted Ph.D thesis & 10 students are doing
Area of Research : Dr. Ambedkar Thought & Sociology
(A) Books : 1. Sulabha Samajshastra (1994)
2. Bhartiya Samajachi Rupresha (1995)
3. Pashchatya Ani Bhartiya Samajshastrandya (1995)
4. Samajshastriy Sankalpana, First Ed-1996, Second Ed-1999
5. Adhunik Bhartatil Samsya (1997)
6. Samajik Manavshastra (1998)
7. Samajshastriya Sankalpana Ani Sidhant (1999)
8. Samajshastra – MPSC, NET, SET (1999)
9. Sanshodhan Paddtilshastra Ani Tantre (2000)
10. Samajshastrandya Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar (2001)
11. Samajshastra (2002)
12. Gramin Ani Nagari Samajshastra (2002)
13. Bhartiya Samaj: Saurachana Ani Samashya (2003)
14. Adivasi Samajache Samajsharstra (2004)
15. Samajshastrandya Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar – Hindi (2005)
16. Samajshastra (2006)
(B) Articles : Near about 500 Articles published in different news papers,
magazines and soveniours.
Awards : 1. Best Short Story Award of ‘Swapna’ Diwali Magazine, Sangali, 1980
2. Lokmats Best Writing Award (first prize) 1989-90
3. Dr. T.V. Gedam Award, Nagpur University, 1995
4. Best Book Writer Award of Marathi Samjshastra Parishad, 1997
5. Dr. M.V. Mirashi Award of Vidharbha Sahitya Sangh, 2001
6. Best Writer Award, Marathi Sahitya Parishad, Pune, 2001
7. Gaurav Vritti Lekhan Purskar – 2006, Dr. Ambedkar Research Centre, Aurangabad.